Macaroons in Paris

Macaroons & Midnight In Paris



I remember watching this film on the flight back from Saudi Arabia to London. Really loved it! Couldn't help but to watch it again. It's such a magical film…unique and artistic in its own rights


The main character played by Own Wilson is rather clumsy, oblivious but adventures. He's focus was to find the hidden gems of Paris to get inspired for his novel that he is writing…but the hidden gems could only be found after midnight (hence the title Midnight in Paris). Marion Cotillard is in the film and my oh my how I love this French Rose!  






The film is so delightful and portrays Paris beautifully, though I must admit, the portrayal of Paris in most films are mostly exaggerated and raise one's expectations of Paris…I visited Paris last year and it was not as magical as I expected it to be…to be honest the only magical city I know of is LONDON!


Anyways, I am going off the point now haha back to the film. I obviously paired it with a french delicacy; Macaroons. These little wonders taste amazing, are super sweet and best enjoyed with coffee. Before I even begin to write down the recipe, you must know that macaroons are highly priced for a reason; they are DIFFICULT to bake!


Yes that's right, it requires a lot of patient, gentleness and time. My oh my, this is perhaps the last time I am baking macaroons for the sake of 'leisure' reasons. Sorry if this may seem off-putting, but if you like have the patient and the passion to bake macaroons; thumbs up to you my friend.


You need these ingredients:
150g (5½oz) icing sugar 
75g (2¾oz) ground almonds 2 large egg whites pinch of salt 35g (1¼oz) caster sugar 


Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3 and line two solid baking-sheets with non-stick baking-parchment. Sift the icing sugar and almonds together into a bowl.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a free-standing electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add the salt and whisk until the egg whites form soft peaks. Add the caster sugar a teaspoon at a time, whisking well after each addition. Continue whisking until the mixture is stiff and glossy.

Fit a piping bag with a 1cm (½in) plain nozzle and pipe 5cm (2in) discs on to the baking-parchment. Dampen the tip of your finger and gently flatten the top of any macarons that are peaky, then give the tray a sharp tap on the work surface to knock out air bubbles. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the mixture to settle, then bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for nine to 10 minutes.

(All Photography & baking by Zinah)

You can have any fillings…I was rather tired after this and just used strawberry jam as filling. Also, i did not use food colouring. Enjoy it with coffee or sugarless tea or drink (it's super sweet, so just avoid any additional sugary drink)
For detailed recipe go on this website.

Have fun baking :) 


Love and Peace

Zinah Nur Sharif